The secret to success with Points Business Solutions is to start using it immediately. Whether this is your first time through a promo, or you need a refresher, this guide walks you through the steps from start to finish.
- Determine your objectives
- Plan your promo
- Buy points/miles
- Set up a campaign
- Generate awards
- Start awarding
- Evaluate success
1) Determine your objectives
The very first step is to figure out what your business goals are. For example, do you want to:
- attract new customers?
- increase overall spend?
- move specific inventory?
- encourage people to do business with you more frequently?
2) Plan your promo
Once you know what you want to achieve, you can start thinking about the best way to use Points Business Solutions to help you get there.
Let’s suppose your goal is to increase overall spend. Your sales data indicates that 80% of customers spend only $24 in your store. You want more of them to be like the 20% who spend $75. In this case, you might offer an incentive of 100 points/miles for every purchase of $50 (to nudge them upwards), and 250 points/miles for purchases of $80 (to encourage both groups to spend more).
If instead you wanted to move particular product lines, your offer would be conditional upon purchasing those specific items — for example, get 300 points/miles for each item bought from XYZ Brand.
Whatever your goals, you can adapt Points Business Solutions to your needs. Find more goal-based marketing ideas in our article library.
3) Log in and buy points/miles
Now that you know what your first promo will be, you need to log in to the Points Business Solutions online tool and ensure you have enough points/miles in your account to award.
Let’s assume you’ll be starting with the minimum purchase of 100,000 points.
Here’s how to purchase them:
- Click the Buy Points/Miles link at the top of the Home Page, or click Points/Miles Purchased
- Enter the number of points/miles you want to purchase into the order form — in this example, 100,000.
- Click Update Calculation to see the total cost, and click Continue.
- Choose a payment option and follow the instructions for that method.
- Be sure to review the Formal Confirmation and accept the Terms & Conditions.
- Click Purchase Points/Miles Now to complete the transaction.
If paying by credit card, you should have immediate access to your points. If you go to your Account Balance section, you’ll see the 100,000 points/miles waiting for you.
4) Set up a campaign
The Campaign feature of the Points Business Solutions tool helps you organize your promos, which will be important once you start doing them on a regular basis.
You can use the default campaign for all of your awards. However, it helps to set up individual campaigns for each promotion. This will allow you to track your programs in one central location, distinguish them easily, and assess the success of different types of promotions.
Here’s how to create a campaign:
- Click the Manage Campaigns link on the home page.
- Click Create New and complete the online form, specifying a unique Campaign Code, a Campaign Title and Description for that campaign.
- Set the rules and limits for the campaign.
- Establish the award amounts, which can be either variable, or you can specify up to five predetermined denominations.
- Enter the campaign start and end dates.
- Specify any earning limits such as limits to the number of awards a customer may receive during a campaign, or limits to the number of points/miles a customer can receive.
- Click Save Changes. The campaign will be displayed on your home page dashboard.
5) Generate awards
Points Business Solutions offers you the flexibility of three different ways to issue awards to your customers:
- Printed Certificates. The simplest award method, this allows you to print personalized certificates for specific customers or to print blank certificates in advance that you can hand out instantly to customers as they meet your award criteria.
- Email Certificates. A convenient and secure way to send awards by email to just a few or to thousands of recipients at once. Simply complete the online form with each recipient’s first and last name, email address, and the number of miles to award. If you have more than 50 to send, you can upload the information from a CSV file (a convenient template is provided).
- Award Codes. An easy way to give points/miles, by generating up to 10,000 codes at once. Simply complete the online form, indicating the number of codes you want to generate and the number of points/miles you want to award for each code in that series. Once generated, you can have the codes printed sequentially on promotional materials or receipts, or write each one manually.
Decide on an award method that makes the most sense for your business, the type of campaign, and your personal preferences. Go to the Miles Awarded box on the home page, click the award method you wish to use, and follow the prompts.
6) Start awarding!
Now it’s time to start giving out awards to your customers. Remember to:
- Tell them what they’ve earned by doing business with you — it creates a positive interaction between you and the customer.
- Remind them that they need to visit the claim site to have their award deposited into their loyalty account.
7) Track results
You can return to the Campaign Management page at any time to check the status and end dates of your campaigns, download the data into Excel, or review campaign details.