One of the (many) perks of working at Points is the company’s annual holiday gift to all employees. Holiday gifts are always something fun and techy, and this year was no exception: each Pointster received a Kobo e-reader. So naturally, we thought, “What better way to put these e-readers to good use and foster the joy of reading than pitting teams of employees against each other in a fierce trivia contest?”
To prepare for Points’ first-ever Battle of the Books, teams of 3 to 5 Pointsters read 7 business books (the whole things!), handpicked by our brainy leadership team. After 4 weeks of serious reading time, copious note-taking, and several unpleasant flashbacks to university exams, the company gathered on a Friday afternoon for food, drinks, and the trivia showdown.
The Prize: the coveted Golden Bookworm trophy, intellectual bragging rights…. and $1,500 in cold, hard cash.
The Reading List
- Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World’s Top Minds
- The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
- Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace)
- The Magic of Reality: How We Know What’s Really True
- Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
- First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently
In front of a cheering crowd of fellow Pointsters, 3 teams faced off in a series of 5 rounds of book trivia. Each round featured 7 questions — one about each book on the reading list. Teams had 15 seconds to pen their answers on a whiteboard, earning from 1 to 3 points per correct answer.
The Official Results
Competition was fierce… but when the dust settled and the final whiteboard was wiped clean, only one team could emerge victorious.
Winners: Team Cover 2 Cover
Second place: Team Obi-wan Kobobi
Third place: Team Read Warriors